Tuesday 20 March 2012

Vanilla Extract - REALLY easy, saves a fortune!

I saw other people doing this and I couldn't resist, it sounded too good to be true! A bottle of cheap vodka, a pack of vanilla beans, and a 3month wait... and I could have a massive bottles worth of vanilla extract at a fraction of the super-market cost?

So I bought a £6ish bottle of vodka (1/2 a litre), £5 worth of vanilla beans (and I only used a third) and I put the beans in the vodka and waited... and here it is! It tastes delicious and rich, and at about £7.50 for 500ml of vanilla extract vs £5.51 for 118ml of the extract I used to buy... I think I've saved about £16? 

The right hand bottle is finished product, and the left hand one I topped up. By pouring out 80% and topping up the remaining 20% you can use the same beans for, according to some websites, up to a year. I topped it up with gin, as it was all I had, so who knows how it will taste in the end but hopefully the vanilla will overpower it anyway.

You can also use bourbon, or any other spirit, I believe. I want to try brandy.... yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment