Monday 23 July 2012

Pencil case, muffins and brownies.



Hello, I have managed to drag myself away from a book (I'm getting through four a week, it's starting to disrupt my life, I think that means it's an addiction now) to update a few of the things I have been doing this summer.


This pencil case was really easy, and dead cheap. I found some half price oil cloth that I bought to make a book bag, but in the mean time I made a new pencil case so I could practice zips (which is why it's a bit wonky, it's my first!). Oilcloth is my new favourite thing because you don't need to hem the edges, making sewing twice as fast. I added some cute buttons I was given too. 


This is the tutorial I used: http://www.momtastic.com/home-and-living/features/126139-diy-oilcloth-zippered-pencil-case 


 Muffins muffins muffins! Usually I have a firm policy against the disappointment that is low fat baking... but this recipe breaks all the rules because it tastes great, and only has 2.2g of fat per muffin and 140 calories! That means you can eat them legitimately for breakfast. 


Recipe (veganised from cook vegetarian):


250g SR flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
55g vegan margarine 
85g caster sugar
1 punnet of raspberries (I've also used strawberries, or any other berry really)
1 large banana
230ml almond milk
teaspoon of cider vinegar


oven: 180c 


- sift flour and baking powder
- add the margarine and rub into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
- stir in sugar
- separately mash banana, milk and cider vinegar until frothy , and let stand until bubbles form 
- add to dry mixture, and mix until combined (and no longer)
- fold in the fruit
- dollop into muffin cases and bake for 20-25min


It might work without the vinegar, as the bananas might be acidic enough to react with the bicarb... but I haven't tried it without just in case. I also found they sank a little, so I'd probably just use 1tsp of baking powder next time. 


Muffins! 


These were made with a recipe from vegan cookies invade your cookie jar, and they are excellent. :) Enough said. 




No comments:

Post a Comment