Friday 2 September 2011

Chocolate Digestive Biscuits

Recipe I used, which was adapted from one from vegetarian living:

Chocolate digestive biscuits:

65g white flour
195g wholemeal flour
50g sugar
1tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
50g cocoa powder
55g vitalite margarine (or other dairy-free margarine)
2tbsp golden syrup
1tbsp treacle
1 tsp vanilla extract
90ml water

- Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Mix in the margarine.
- Mix syrups, water and vanilla extract together and add slowly to the mixture until it forms a dough.
- Chill dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out (as thin as possible!), cut into shapes, and bake for 12-15miniutes.
- Ice!

Although in reality I baked for about 25miniutes, as the recipe said "until crispy" and like a fool I listened. I should have known better! Biscuits that are crispy in the oven are BURNT, they harden as they cool.


I salvaged them before they tasted burnt, but they're definitely too hard. I also think they could do with at least twice the sugar, because icing or no icing, I like my biscuits sweeeet! Still, with a tea or coffee they'll do just fine for my bf and me :)

I did enjoy icing though. I used colour paste instead of food colouring and I much prefer it. I mix it with the water before adding it to the sugar and it gives a consistent colour that you can tweak easily. Colour pastes are a little more expensive, but well worth it as they'll last for ages.




No comments:

Post a Comment